Control system to include intrinsic anomaly detection
December 22, 2017
With cyber security gaining ever more importance in ensuring network safety, Bedrock Automation has announced its Bedrock Open Secure Automation (OSA) firmware will include intrinsic Anomaly Detection (AD). Bedrock OSA AD will be available as standard integrated functionality that continuously monitors the controller’s network and system time to detect intrusions and anomalous behaviour.
“Preventing control system intrusion is fundamental to holistic cyber security. In addition, users need to know when the system security is being challenged,” said Albert Rooyakkers, Bedrock founder and CEO. “This is the role of anomaly detection. At no additional cost or complexity for the user, Bedrock’s AD delivers additional assurance that no one is tampering with your automation.”
Bedrock Anomaly Detection includes the following functionality:
- Dynamic Port Connection Monitoring, which records all attempts to connect any controller or communication point and captures identifying information on the intruder
- Network Port Scanning, which detects if hackers are scanning for open ports that might provide access to the control network
- System Time Monitoring, which detects attempts to manipulate log files to conceal malicious activity
- Cryptographic Controller Engineering Key Lock, which permits only users with valid user credentials to change the configuration and operation mode of the controller and records all access
- Intrusion Event Logging, which records all detected anomalies and reports them to SCADA software through OPC UA and standard database access for historian, alarming, and trending functions. Additionally, a tri-color status LED on the faceplate of Bedrock Controllers provides indication locally whenever an intrusion is detected.
Anomalous behaviour detected at the controller level signifies a high likelihood of a cyber security event. Embedding detection into the controller provides advanced cyber defense while reducing complexity and lifecycle cost. Bedrock AD will be standard on all Bedrock systems and is available as a free firmware upgrade to installed systems as part of Cybershield 3.0 in March 2018.
Print this page