IPP&T Magazine Online
News

Wednesday’s shareholders’ meeting will have a large, angry audience


May 7, 2019  


Print this page

Some 200 workers, locked out of their jobs at the ABI aluminum smelter in Quebec since Jan. 11, 2018, will demonstrate at Alcoa’s shareholders’ meeting in Pittsburgh, Penn. tomorrow morning.

The members of the United Steelworkers (USW), boarded buses in Trois-Rivières, Que., late Monday night and have arrived in Pittsburgh this afternoon.

The workers will meet at USW international headquarters on Wednesday morning before marching to the Hotel Fairmont where Alcoa will be holding its shareholders’ meeting.

The steelworkers will demonstrate outside while a delegation of their colleagues, holding shareholder proxies, will attend the shareholders’ meeting to call out Alcoa executives and directors for prolonging the 16-month Quebec lockout.

Alcoa holds a 75 per cent stake in the ABI aluminum smelter, with fellow multinational Rio Tinto holding the remaining 25 per cent.

The steelworkers also will demonstrate in the afternoon outside Alcoa and Arconic headquarters in Pittsburgh.

The USW is the largest private-sector union in Quebec, representing more than 60,000 workers in all economic sectors.


Print this page

Related


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*